The Attorney General and Secretary of State’s attempt to stop the collection of IP57 petitions was denied by the Ninth Circuit Court on 7/23/20. And so we’ll continue to ask that citizens send in signed petitions to get an independent redistricting commission on November’s ballot. Please get them in by August 8th.
To achieve an Independent Redistricting Commission in Oregon would mean:
- Even numbers of Democrats, Republicans, and Non-Affiliated Voters would be able to be on the Commission
- Non-affiliated voters will be included for the first time
- New district lines throughout the state will be drawn in 2021. This only happens every ten years based on the 2020 Census.
- There will be less “gerrymandering”.
- More unity between parties
- Fairer line drawing